[pct-l] pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

Herb herbstroh at charter.net
Wed May 19 14:36:34 CDT 2010

Linda-

Thanks for that insight, as it clears up a mystery for me. Last year I and a buddy were hiking in the Grand Canyon trying to find "overhang" campsite in upper Phantom. I had the location's waypoints and my GPS indicated it was .2 mile up canyon. But after hiking nearly 1/4 mile I checked again, and it showed the site about .2 mile behind us. Upon later exploration we found the site--it was 100 feet from the FIRST reading telling us to head up canyon 1/4 mile. I thought to myself 'what an idiot, can't even read a GPS right.' Maybe it wasn't me after all.

Herb