[pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 01:03:00 CDT 2010

Interesting postscript to the GPS discussion we had back in March:  a lot of
the trail journals are describing situations where non-GPS-carrying thrus
chose to latch on to the GPS-carrying thrus in order to navigate through the
San Jacintos.  As Granite and Terrapin Flyer wrote, "Not a single hiker we
met with just a map and compass wasn't thrilled to check our GPS data."

Empirical evidence seems to show that while a GPS isn't *necessary* in
snow-bound conditions (and shouldn't be relied on as the sole form of
navigational aid), it's pretty darn useful and when people are actually out
there they're more than happy to follow the folks who have them.  Just
interesting data . . .

Examples:

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=d06471f65621deba49961e93977
35ed3&entry_id=14895