[pct-l] Trail *magic*

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 17:52:22 CDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Eric Lee <saintgimp at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, excuse me while I go wax nostalgic in the corner.

When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it
means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.”

We have 'institutional trail angels' (the usual suspects) and
'institutional trail magic' (Third Gate cache).

Lots of examples of the old-fashioned stuff, here's just one -

Guy hiks up to Third Gate water cache in the SF Hills and camps.
Wakes up the next morning with so much pain in both knees that he can
barely walk, let alone hike.  What to do?  It's ten miles one way, to
Barrel Spring (and road access), 14 miles back to Scissors Crossing.
Decides to hang out in his tent.  Later in the day, hearing
conversation, crawls out and slowly hobbles over for some
companionship.  Other hikers ask what's wrong, he describes situation.
 Turns out one of the hikers knows the back way into where the TG
water gets delivered, and can maneuver a vehicle within a mile of the
trail.  Should be able to hobble that far.  Other hiker returns to
Scissors Crossing, drives vehicle around to pick him up, and on to
ultimate rehabilitation.

--
'Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit' - Oscar Wilde

Sent from home by my carrier pigeon.