[pct-l] Brand New Hiker from NorCal

em ozzy ozzyemm at gmail.com
Tue May 18 01:34:35 CDT 2010

Hi!  I am fairly new to hiking, and new to this list.  I hiked the grand
canyon from the North Rim in High School (9 miles round trip), and hiked ten
miles each way once in jr. high.  I have done short hikes with my family
several times a year (1-2 miles).  We have lived in Northern California
(Plumas County, in between Quincy and Chester) for three years, and I have
gotten it into my head that I want to hike the stretch between Belden and
Hwy 32(?).

I have gleaned from here that I would be wise to go in August.  I am
training for this hike, and am aiming for 10 miles a day, giving myself a
week to complete the section.

My questions right now are: Since this is my first hike, should I have
someone come with me?  I am a 31 year old woman, on the hefty side, but no
health problems.  If I have been reading correctly, many thruhikers come
through in August, so I guess I could join up with some, but I don't want to
hold people back.

What is the bear danger?  In the three years I have lived in Plumas County,
I have seen two live bears, and one dead one (roadkill).  I am kind of
terrified of encountering a bear or mountain lion.

I am trying to read before I post, because I don't want to ask dumb
questions or questions everyone asks.  In my mind, these two questions are
valid, so please be nice to me ;).

Also, are there any trail angels in the area?  Depending on the day, I could
probably shuttle people to Chester or Quincy.

Emily

Norcal Newbie