[pct-l] What are the snow conditions now on Baden-Powell?

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Mon May 17 15:36:09 CDT 2010

We drove by Vincent Gap on Saturday.

There is still maybe 50% coverage from the Vincent Gap trailhead. Past there, to the west, the north facing slopes are still fully covered with snow. South facing slopes are dry.

The snow on the north slopes is hard and slick in the morning. We watched horrified as a woman, on her first hike ever, fell 200' from the Dawson Saddle trail onto Angles Crest Highway. It took an hour for her to be extracted by helicopter.

Please take care on those slopes in the early morning and be properly equipped.

Gary