[pct-l] "thruhike" or "thru-hike"

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon May 17 09:11:51 CDT 2010

Good morning,

Since “thru” isn’t a correct spelling it’s hard to defend one incorrect
spelling vs. another.  I use “thru-hike”.

My quarrel is more with usage rather than spelling.  There are people who
attempt a thru-hike, people who want to thru-hike, and people who intend to
thru-hike, but in my view no-one is a thru-hiker until they have hiked the
entire distance, border to border, in one season.  People at the Kick-Off
calling themselves “thru-hikers”, or people who refer to themselves as Class
of 2011 “thru-hikers” are overly optimistic and are assuming an undeserved
title of distinction.

During my attempts to thru-hike I never referred to myself as a
"thru-hiker".  I have around 5,000 PCT miles under my sneakers:  Parts of it
several times; parts of it hundreds of times; parts of it only once; but I’m
still short about 200 miles which I hope to finish this year, so I’m not –
and probably never will be – a “thru-hiker” by any spelling.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09