[pct-l] Post fire PCT rehab and Crosscut saw training

Paul Cronshaw beemancron at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 12:21:21 CDT 2010

Following major fires there is always lots of trail rehab and maintenance to restore the trail to pre-fire conditions.

I have learned a lot from our local Los Padres Forest Zaca Fire that destroyed most of my
favorite hiking area in 2007.  Not only does nature use it as an excuse to accelerate plant succession and erase the trails, but a lot of large trees burned in the fire are continue to fall across the trail, creating hazards and mini-trail "realignments" (the correct trail term for a deviation from original trail tread).

A couple years ago I joined a volunteer sawyer project and got hooked on the tremendous benefits created by this form of trail rehab. Brushing and treadwork are an ongoing process, but cutting a 40" tree leaves a legacy.

 I have decided that part of my trail volunteer mission is to learn how to be a crosscut sawyer. There are two kinds of saws that can cut trees: chain and crosscut saws. Chain saws are not permitted in the wilderness, only crosscuts, which is becoming a dying art.  Using any saw to cut trees is dangerous, which is why an apprenticeship and certification process is necessary.

The effects of the Station and Sheep fires will have its affect on the PCT for years to come. Volunteers will be needed to restore the trail to the PCT standards. This will include cutting sections out of fire damaged trees to maintain the original trail corridor.  I highly recommend volunteering with a sawyer team to learn the art, science and safety rules that comes with this much needed trail rehab process.

I have posted a few pictures on my trails web site to give you a taste of several aspects of crosscut sawyer technique.

http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron/MissionPineSpringsTreeCuttingProject#

Happy trails.

Paul "The Beeman" Cronshaw
Los Padres Forest Volunteer Wilderness Ranger Litehiker Coordinator