[pct-l] Getting a ride to VVR

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at gmail.com
Sun May 16 00:06:40 CDT 2010

In '08, I missed the morning ferry to VVR, but was able to hitch a ride (via
a boat! My first time to hitch-hike someone passing in a boat!) across the
lake with a nice family ... all the way to Fresno and caught Amtrak to
Oregon to take care of some business. On my return, I rode Amtrak back to
Fresno, and took public transit back as close as I could get, then started
hitching.

Made it in 3 or 4 rides all the way to Hunnington Lake (at the end of Hwy
158), but once I turned onto the road up to VVR, no one would give me a
ride. I sat there for 3 hours, and several cars, pick-up trucks, and RV's
went past. I knew that most, if not all, were going to VVR! It's about 20
miles from this point to VVR. Finally, I said to myself, "You know ... 20
miles compared to 2,650 miles is just not that far, so I started walking. I
went about 5 miles, and again, more vehicles passed me. They seemed so nice,
some even waved as they went past!

It started to get dark, so I camped for the night. Still more cars past!

In the morning, a very nice family stopped and asked if I needed a ride,
which I gladly accepted. They were headed for the Morning Ferry, and it
worked out GREAT!

Good luck with your trip!

O. Ikem Sofar