[pct-l] Deep Creek Hot Springs

Herb herbstroh at charter.net
Fri May 14 10:54:10 CDT 2010

Ikem--

The trail from the Arrowhead side is off of 173. If you are coming down from Arrowhead you go past the shooting range. There is a bridge over a dry creek, after which 173 becomes a narrow road winding down to Hesperia. Park at the bridge and pick up the trail there. The trail may be hard to track in a few places since the fire. It is probably 3 miles, and is some work going up and down the hills. The trail joins the PCT about 1/4 mile above the hot springs. Head down stream and enjoy a good soak.

Hitching to this spot would be tough. There are off-road folks and, in season, hunters traveling that route but traffic can be scarce on a weekday.

You could also pick up the PCT at the base of the mountain where 173 heading toward Arrowhead turns into a dirt road. That would be about a 7-8 mile hike up canyon to the hot springs.

Above the main pool near the trail there is a spring with cold water. That is a great place to fill up a water bottle for drinking while in the pools.

The rangers do check for overnighters, but they tend to do enforcements on the weekends. I met a guy there once who claimed to have spent about 2 weeks camping out at the springs. The rangers come in from Bowen Ranch, and you can see them coming down the trail--so he would just high tail it up canyon until he saw them leave.

I suppose you know its clothing optional at the springs. In fact, I have seen hikers coming down from Bowen with nothing but shoes and a pack on.

Herb