[pct-l] Determining how much food to take

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu May 13 22:40:19 CDT 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 11:10 PM, Sherry Smith wrote:

> Does any one know how I figure out how much dehydrated food to pack if I need a pound of food a day?  I will be generally eating oatmeal w/pwd milk for breakfast, soup for lunch, gorp and peanut butter as needed throughout the day.

Usually food weight is the 'dry weight'.  So '1 pound of food per day' is just that.  Doesn't matter if it is Liptons, home-made dehydrated food, or commercial dehydrated/freeze dried.

Most thru-hiker plan on around 2 lbs of food per day.  Hikers without stoves tend to carry a bit more food weight since they tend to purchase food with more water content.

Hope that helps.

Radar