[pct-l] John Muir Trail in early June

Herb herbstroh at charter.net
Wed May 12 15:07:09 CDT 2010

Avace--

I suppose it goes without saying, but you should be confident in your ability to self arrest with an axe and have it in your hand when traveling through the snowy sections. Also if you do not have experience using crampons, suggest you consider micro spikes. Crampons can be dangerous to the user if inexperienced.

I would also consider bringing a GPS. Later in the season you barely need a map to find your way, but that early will have trails disappearing under the snow miles from the pass. You will likely be arriving before the "herd" of PCT'ers reaches the JMT--the target date for most NB hikers is to leave Kennedy Meadows mid June--so you may not be able to rely on a tromp line to point out the correct route.

Start reading the PCT-L list. As the early hikers go through they will be posting reports.

Herb