[pct-l] Spintex .97 vs. Silnylon 1.35, also MLD Bug Bivy vs. Serenity Shelter

Daniel Cross dan_cross43 at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 23:10:04 CDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to this list, have replied to a few people's posts, but this is the first time I'm coming with a question of my own.  I'm gearing up for a PCT thru-hike next season and looking to get a new shelter system.  I used the GoLite Lair 1 on my AT thru-hike in '06 and liked the balance between simplicity and protection it offered.  However, the one big shortcoming was lack of bug protection.  This has led me to seek out a shelter with a similar design, yet with a bug netting component.

After much deliberation, I've settled on the MLD Patrol Shelter.  However I'm torn on two fronts.  Do I go with the Spintex .97 or the Silnylon 1.35?  Also, do I complement it with the Bug Bivy or the Serenity Shelter?

In regards to the fabric, I get that the Spintex is lighter than the Silnylon.  I also get that the Silnylon is stronger, but sags some.  That being said, which would you all think to be more suited for a shelter fabric on a PCT thru-hike?

In regards to the Bug Bivy vs. Serenity Shelter, I get that the Bug Bivy is lighter, but it also looks like it could be a nightmare to get in and out of while pitched under the Patrol Shelter.  The Serenity Shelter looks more robust and more accessible, albeit heavier.  Anyone have any experience with either of these?  Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!  And on a side note, it's an incredible online community you all have here.  I've learned so much since joining a few months back.  Thanks!

Bear Can

PS - Here's the links to all the products I've mentioned:

Patrol Shelter:  http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=76
Serenity Shelter:  http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=120
Bug Bivy:  http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=55