[pct-l] 1-888-PC-TRAIL anyone else heard of this?

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue May 11 12:28:21 CDT 2010

Timothy,

You need to get your facts straight. I did not attempt to stop the event
from occurring . . . the young men in question were here with their father,
and if he would not tell them what they were doing was reckless, what could
I say that would do any good?  So I said nothing to them, though I was
really steaming mad when I heard what they were going to do.  After they
left, always one to speak my mind, I certainly was not silent here at my
home and with my other guests about what I thought. So, I'm not sure how you
make the connection to "trail police."  Pretty much everyone hiking in the
area was disgusted, especially those who followed directly behind this crew.
What these guys chose to do was not representational of the considerate
behavior exhibited by all the other hikers.

I've no idea why you're connecting my PCTA board position with this whole
issue. I began hosting hikers years before I got involved with the PCTA, and
I hope to continue to host hikers long into the future, PCTA board member or
not. When I post, I post as a member of the trail community with
information, most often about Sections D & E, which bookend Agua Dulce.  I
have never officially posted for the PCTA (I'm not authorized to do so).
Truthfully, I did bring the 24 x 24 issue up within a subcommittee meeting,
though it was nothing more than a discussion and no position was ever taken
by the PCTA.

I had some real regrets about not telling these young men that what they
were doing was foolhardy before they left here.  It bothered me quite a bit.
Fortunately, I did see both of these young men later in the season at VVR
and had the satisfying opportunity to give them an earful about what I
thought of their shenanigans . . . especially knowing what the aftermath was
from their drunken hike.  (FYI -- One kid had over 40 beers, and someone had
diarrhea, which they left all over the trail.  They all took off at
nighttime with nothing but beers in their packs (Dad slacked their gear
around). So, they were out on exposed trail in the dark, drunk, without
gear.  The Anderson's were not happy on their end, when these guys literally
fell out of the truck, drunk.)

The fact that these kids chose to do such a stupid thing is certainly their
business, but what I really took "umbrage" with was that they were trying to
PROMOTE the 24 x 24 challenge.  They wanted to get word out to other hikers
that this could be done. Well, I just as adamant to get the word out not to
do such an asinine thing. If Darwin Award wannabes want to take themselves
out of the picture, what can I say or do?   What really gets me about this
behavior is that they put the lives of Search and Rescue workers (often
volunteers) at risk. Every SAR activity holds risks for the rescue workers.
It's one thing if someone has a real accident, but it's another thing to be
a dumbass on purpose, asking to have a very preventable accident.

What you may not be aware of is that one of these young men had already
called Search & Rescue TWICE from his SPOT device in his nobo hike last
season (once at Hauser Creek and another time around Fuller Ridge). What is
even sadder is both of these boys had lost their mother, and their father
his wife, when she died of hypothermia in Section E a few years ago. She did
not take warm clothing with her and a storm moved in.  She got lost in the
fog, and died.  She was a mother of five.

L-Rod