[pct-l] Sympathy (Ray-Way tarp)

Rebecca Mezoff rebecca.mezoff at gmail.com
Tue May 11 08:12:33 CDT 2010

I feel your pain Dave.  I have sewed three of these tarptents now
(well, I made the old tarptent, pattern still on line, don't know if
it is what you're talking about exactly).  I made them of silnylon and
it is a slippery son of a gun.  I am a good seamstress and still had
trouble.  I did the best I could and then seam sealed the heck out of
it.  I did what I think is called a french seam which made it look
better and once sealed makes a good water barrier.  I made the initial
seam rather large then folded the remaining material around and
stitched again.  Because I knew I was going to do this, I used lots of
pins making sure not to make holes in the part of the tent that was
beyond the seam.  I suppose you could try something like binder clips
to hold it if you don't want the holes (potential leak sites) in the
fabric.  They make seam clips for sewing, but they aren't very tight
and I don't think would hold the silnylon.  I also made rain pants out
of this material--best, lightest rain pants ever... but even more of a
sewing challenge.

Good luck!  Believe me, once you're on the trail and people ask where
you got your cool tent and you tell them you made it, they won't look
too closely at the seams.  They'll be impressed you can sew! (And
envious of the money you saved by making your own gear.)
Happy sewing!
Rebecca