[pct-l] Snow in northern California?

Colby Gutierrez-Kraybill colby at kraybill.com
Mon May 10 17:08:32 CDT 2010

> From: Jim and_or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Snow in northern California?
> To: pct-l <pct-l at backcountry.net>
>

> Can anybody tell us what the snow is like in the mountains in N. Cal
> right now?  We are considering a jump to Castella and hiking south
> from there in a week or so.

It's been snowing at around 2500-3000ft since 1300 PDT today.  Was
driving from Redding to Hat Creek, and around Montgomery Creek, it was
solid heavy snow until we got to Hat Creek (~30mi).  Most likely, the
snow along the Hat Creek rim will melt off by tomorrow and the trail
from the rim to ~Burney Falls will probably be clear too.  North of
Burney Falls to Castella will probably stick around several more
days.  So far, it looks like there's been ~4-5 inches.

I'd make sure you're prepared for winter storms, since we seem to keep
having them.

- Colby