[pct-l] On the Dangers of the UL Mentality

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon May 10 09:18:57 CDT 2010

Good morning, Shepherd,

Actually, “ultra-lite” trekking has been with us through the millennia, much
longer than “traditional” – read “heavy” – trekking.  Take a look at any of
the primitive peoples of the world.  They are likely to undertake
significant journeys – for a variety of reasons – equipped only with
sandals, a minimal garment of some type, a weapon or subsistence tool, and a
small pouch or packet about their waist or neck.  Odds are good that much of
the content of that little pouch is more for the sustenance of their souls
rather than the sustenance of their bodies.  Possibly they could say one
thing that none of us can say, “I’m not ultra-lite, I’m carrying everything
I own.”

“Heavy” hiking became popular in the ‘60s and early ‘70s when for social and
political reasons many young adults decided to go back to nature and begin
backpacking.  Not having any experience or background of doing so -- but
having money -- they went to their local outfitter and said, in effect,
“Here I am.  Have your way with me.”  Manufacturers and marketers responded
to the opportunity with a cornucopia of necessities, all of which got heaped
on the pack frames of willing participants.

All the while in this period the undercurrent of ultra-liteizm remained
strong among a devoted few.  Ultra-lite didn’t get much press at the time
because the money was to be made satisfying the “heavies”.  Few books
mentioned ultra-lite options because readers wanted to learn about “modern”
methods.  There was no communicating internet underground of ultra-lite
enthusiasts as we have today, but in the ‘90s Jardine struck a nerve at the
right time and place to create a high profile for methods that had been
around for a long time, and for that he deserves great credit.

So yes, there are lots of “old” ultra-lite sayings.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09