[pct-l] Please stop burning up our trail - PCT closure San Jacinto

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sat May 8 17:01:22 CDT 2010

I'm glad they put this one out so quickly.  I just wish people were more paranoid about fire when hiking in SoCal.  Being from a wetter part of the world, many that I met last year had no real appreciation to how flammible things are here.  Hopefully the word of this fire will spread through the herd and people will be a little more careful; at least this year.

Now, I'm assuming they were using an alcohol stove because usually thats the case with many of these fires.  Considering that alcohol stoves are already in a grey area between a stove and an open fire, if we get too many more of these fires, we are likely to see a specific ban against that type of stove in some places in SoCal irregardless of the current fire condtions.  Afterall, most regulations end up being targeted at the most careless people which penalizes those who are more cautious and thoughtful about their actions.  I personally hope things don't come to that.

-Miner