[pct-l] Please stop burning up our trail - PCT closure San Jacinto

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sat May 8 16:07:51 CDT 2010

I received a phone call last night about a fire on the PCT between Black
Mountain Road and Snow Creek. Last night the trail was closed. How long the
trail will be closed I don't know, you might check with the San Jacinto
Rangers in Idyllwild while you're in town. It sounds like the fire is out,
but cleanup continued. 50 acres burned.

I was told the fire was started by a hiker using a stove in a grassy area.
Please remember - stoves can only be used where there is NO flammable
material within a 5-foot radius. Preferably find a clear space rather than
digging up a 10-foot diameter circle.

PLEASE stop burning up our trail. It seems every year a PCT hiker starts at
least one wildfire. Besides messing up the environment, it really messes up
our credibility with the regional land management agencies.

AsABat