[pct-l] stoves

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 22:16:52 CDT 2010

Not to burst your bubble, but I think I'd reconsider white gas (even though you've already bought it).  A great engineer once said, "The more you overwork the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."  That's pretty much what I think when I look at one of those white gas stoves.  It's one reason I went with a small alcohol stove.  It's very simple to operate.  It's also super-light (My stove and the titanium kettle in which I carry it together weigh about 4 oz.).  There are a few downsides, though:  it takes practice to learn how much alcohol to put into the stove before I light it; I have to let it all burn; alcohol flames are hard to see; there's no such thing as "simmer," it's either on or off.  That said, I recommend seeking someone near you who has experience using one.  I could even be the staff at the same store you visit in search of sleeping gear.

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR