[pct-l] stoves

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 14:22:46 CDT 2010

Hi Sherry,

You will get a lot of opinions on stoves on this forum.  I suggest that you check out the archives of this forum and also the postholer      postholer.com

Here's my opinion:  After a lot of research, and having used liquid-fueled stoves and had problems with them, I decided to purchase a Jetboil for my PCT thru-ride.  I am very satisfied with this choce. This stove uses propane cannisters and is simple to light and use - during nearly 6 months mostly living on the trail I never had a problem.  Also, I never had it flare up and by the time I reached the rainy weather in Washington I felt safe cooking in the vestibule of my tent.  I have come to appreciate these qualities. Weight:  My entire cooking/eating kit is very compact and weighs about 18 ounces and everything nestles. The larger cannister weighs 9 ounces and lasted me, cooking two meals a day, an average of 6 days.

MendoRider