[pct-l] mummy bags

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed May 5 11:41:29 CDT 2010

Eric is spot on and I concur; no - you don't need a mummy; they're just more heat efficient. I've lived in Oregon for 24 years and hiked all over the PNW including 2000 miles of the PCT from Mojave to Canada, and have also experienced snow storms in the Three sisters Wilderness in August. Made me think my calendar was lying to me.

However, I'd suggest that you skip REI and go directly to Western Mountaineering (http://www.westernmountaineering.com)

Check out their wider girth Extremelite mummy bags like the Megalite (30°F) and Alpinlite (20°F); the 10° Versalite is too warm for Oregon.

Also look at their semi-rectangular bags - the 25°F (hoodless) Alder MF and its hooded twin, the Sycamore MF - that both open fully into a quilt. I've had my Sycamore for 15 years and just love it; bought another for my wife so we can zip them together, although we've been perfectly comfortable under just one when fully opened. I find the hood to be well worth the extra ounce. It has worked well on the PCT for almost 1500 miles over the years. The microfiber shell makes it windproof and more water resistant than their Extremelite series models.

The other maker of good down bags is Feathered Friends. Comperable bags from both manufacturers will cost you $350 to $450, depending on model and temperature rating. Whichever you select, I strongly advise you to go to a stocking dealer and try them on for size first. I'm a rolling side sleeper and like you, find the standard 59 inch shoulder girths too confining; I need 62 inches or better.

Wandering Bob