[pct-l] Prepared for weather

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 13:05:35 CDT 2010

Diane,  This is another excellent post from you. In riding the PCT I had to take many "alternate routes". I have called them detours. To reach Fobes Saddle, for example, I was able to eventually find a detour route, partially cross country, that ended up taking a day and a half.. The obstacles were down trees that barely delayed my hiker friends. I carried a saw but there was far too much to cut, At other places I found shorter ways around down trees and boulders and had to cut dozens of trees that the hikers could easily get past. In other places I had to leave my horse in good care and hitch ahead to get my trailer rig where I last parked it - then load my horse and trailer around fire closed areas and, once again, find someone to care for Primo while I drove north, cached, parked rig and hitched back to Primo so I could continue riding north. Lots of research and logistics required. It's much more difficult to solo ride the PCT than it is to
 hike it. If the weather changes for the worse, unexpectedly, I had fewer options - even as to where I could camp.  I simply had to be prepared for pretty much anything that might happen since Primo and I mostly lived on the trail.

MendoRider