[pct-l] backpacking with money

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue May 4 12:41:40 CDT 2010

On May 4, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Sherry Smith wrote:

> How do you carry money when you are hiking to keep it (and yourself) safe?

Ziplock bag.  If you want extra protection, use a freezer zip lock.  :-)

One thing I think is important is to always put your valuables (money,
identification, credit cards, passport) in the same place.  It can be
quite nerve-wracking to be two days from town and suddenly panic because
you can't find your ziplock-wallet.  After madly tearing through your
gear, you find out that it has slipped down between your pack and the
liner bag.

For extra precaution you can have a second credit card that you don't
keep with everything else--just in case.

I also make sure that my 'wallet' is in my pant's pocket when I am at a trailhead
trying to get to town.  If for some reason I get separated from my backpack
I don't want to lose my wallet along with the gear.  I usually have my
camera with me also.

Radar