[pct-l] Getting a ride to VVR

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon May 3 15:59:09 CDT 2010

You might have better luck hitching OUT of Vermillion Valley than into it. While you might get lucky enough to find someone going all the way to Fresno, you're more likely to find a ride headed to SOMEPLACE that has public transportation. You can then get home from there.

I'd start at Tuolumne Mdws (take the train from Oakland to Merced, the bus to Yosemite Valley, and the 5 pm [17:00] YARTS bus to TM, stay overnight at the TM backpackers' campground, and go south the next morning. To start at Red's Mdw, do the same, but ride YARTS all the way to its last stop at the Mammoth Mountain Inn (have reservations in hand). Take the 1st shuttle bus of the morning down to Reds Mdw Resort and start south.

Be advised, this YARTS bus is the main source of transportation for Mammoth residents who work in Yosemite Valley, so the bus fills rapidly and no reservations are possible for individuals. Be in line at the YV Visitor's Center stop well in advance of departure time. First come, first served.

Wandering Bob