[pct-l] Wannabe Solo Female Hikers/Tent

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 18:33:29 CDT 2010

Hello Steel-Eye,

My first long backpacking trip was in the Sierra. Three of us went for 18 days.  The year was 1953.  I was a high school junior. On that first trip I had no tent, sleeping pad or air mattress. We dug "hip holes" and lined them with pine or fir needles. I had only a tarp to use as a ground cloth.  We slept under the sky.  When, in 1959, I got a wife and we got air mattresses and a tent.  I could no longer see the sky or look all around.  On my PCT ride I found a compromise in a one-man tent ( a Hubba by MSR ) that is simply insect netting with a rainfly. I rarely needed to use the rainfly.  I could star-gaze and could look all around and be able to see my horse - who was always highlined nearby.  I do like having the insect netting to keep the critters out.

MendoRider