[pct-l] KO Video by Nat Geo

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun May 2 14:19:29 CDT 2010

On May 2, 2010, at 2:00 PM, Timothy Nye wrote:
> But for a nagging injury I could have been out there with gear based on my
> own previous, and limited, experience with the area.  A friend from last
> year is hiking and had sent all his foul weather gear up to Idyllwild.  A
> number of hikers showed up that way at Mike's. Much less room for error than
> last year.  In that circumstance lack of conditioning and inappropriate
> gear, the latter sometimes abetted by unscrupulous outfitters, can combine
> to produce unfortunate consequences.  For myself, I'm re-assesing my base
> back yet again.

I would be curious to understand more about how hikers find themselves
unprepared.  Is it because they never got the message about weather in
SoCal this time of year or is because they choose to ignore or discount
the message?

Spreading the word more effectively is something that I think is doable.
I'm not sure how you get people to incorporate the warnings into their
planning though. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it
drink.

Radar