[pct-l] Wannabe Solo Female Hikers

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun May 2 09:17:01 CDT 2010

On May 2, 2010, at 6:35 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
>  His
> problem?  Spiders.  Very often during the night some little spiders
> will
> stretch webs across the trail, many of them about face level.  If
> you see
> hikers flailing their hiking poles about madly in the morning you
> can bet
> they object to eating spider webs.

I broke spider webs for weeks through N. Cal and S. Or. (I actually
think they were not spider webs but worm webs. Real spider webs
really creep me out, especially the ones that pull back and stretch
across your face like nylon pantyhose, but I digress.)

My solution was to use the beer bottle holder on the side of my pack
waist belt (I usually had a handy water bottle there) to hold the
blunt end of my trekking pole and them hold the other end loosely in
front of my body. I think I even rigged a way this would work hands-
free, but I can't remember now how I did it. After a few minutes it
looked like shimmering silver party streamers along my pole. Gave me
a break from the constant wiping them from my face.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes