[pct-l] Wannabe Solo Female Hikers

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Sat May 1 16:43:27 CDT 2010

This thread reminds me of my first night in Lassen Nat'l Park on my first
50-mile hike with Boy Scouts .

At the end of a tiring day of hauling 50 lb packs we stopped by a lake and
prepared freeze-dried food for dinner. We had more than the scouts would
eat, so we buried the leftovers away from our camp. Within minutes a doe was
pawing at the buried food and soon was helping herself to people food.
(Several lessons learned from that experience.)

At dark we all threw out our sleeping bags cowboy style. In the middle of
the night we heard a commotion from one of the scouts, then a deer started
bounding around between all the sleeping bags. The deer had been licking the
salt of the scouts face while he slept.

Ken