[pct-l] Hiking WA in July with regards to snow and other SOBO concerns

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 18:50:18 CDT 2010

David wrote:

Anyone think that hiking the WA section in July a bad idea due to snow?

Dear David,

According to Scott W in Yogi's guide, typically the last snow clears from Glacier Peak area around mid July.  This year will probably be way earlier than that.  Last year July section hikers had snow in the Goat Rocks.

You'll be wishing you were on snow if you hit the black fly season wrong.  The biting flies in Northern WA are super evil early on during their breeding frenzy.  There is no repellent they are repelled by.  Tall ripstop booties and mits (ala Ray Jardine) are a welcome addition:  impossible to otherwise take off your shoes when stopped with out getting eaten alive and for that matter, they bite right thru mesh shoes. I recommend impenetrable shell clothing, a head-net, and Tenacious Tape to repair any holes or you could go crazy.  My super light ripstop hard shell pants will stop them IF they don't find a tiny hole but when stopped, they will not give up trying to get to you like mosquito's seem to if you ignore them.  Luckily this keeps breaks short and the hiking pace fast.

Sincerely, Lollygag