[pct-l] tent decision: Squall Classic or Lunar Solo

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 30 18:28:05 CDT 2010

On Mar 30, 2010, at 9:08 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hi all. Please help me decide! I'm interested in the Squall Classic by
> Gossamergear and the Lunar Solo by Sixmoondesigns. Owners of one of
> these
> tents: What's your NEGATIVE experience with it? Positive opinions are
> already written on the producers homepage. I want to know their
> weak points.
> For example: Can the Lunar Solo hold the rain also without
> seamsealing? And
> is silnylon still waterproof when you thouch the tent wall from the
> inside?
> How about space for eg. changing clothes in the tent? Is the wind
> blowing
> straight through the Squall because it's opened on both sides?
> Disturbing or
> helping against condensation? How about caming in a wet place, how
> waterproof is the floor?
> Thank you for critical views!
> AnnA

I had a GossamerGear Squall Classic in Spinnaker fabric from mid
Oregon to Canada.
- It was waterproof when I touched it from the inside. Unless there
was condensation on the inside.
- It had limited room for changing clothes inside the tent. There was
only one spot inside where I could sit fully upright and I would
brush the roof pretty easily when I packed up or changed clothes. The
One has more room for sitting upright without brushing the roof.
- The wind does blow straight through if you set it up with the big
end facing into the wind. You're supposed to set it up with the small
end facing into the wind. Then there is only very small amount of
wind. Nothing to really feel disturbed by at all.
- I used the Squall in a lot of rain. I used a small polycro sheet
that was not as wide as the tent. Where the polycro was it was dry,
otherwise it would get damp if the ground was already wet when I set
up. If the ground was dry, the floor would stay dry. If water rolled
in from the sides (which it did, I'll get to that next) it would roll
in like beaded water. If I pitched the tent in a puddle (which I did
once) it would get a puddle inside. Basically it was water resistant
until there was enough time for the water to soak through. This was
fortunate because I spilled urine in the tent and was able to clean
it up without harm.
- I couldn't figure out the magic formula for keeping the mesh along
the edges inside the tent. It would peek out of the roof part. I did
have rain puddle in the mesh and eventually come rolling in. I
couldn't figure out the secret for setting it up without the mesh
peeking out, but it wasn't a frequent occurrence to have water roll
in. It only happened once.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic