[pct-l] maps/thru-wallets

twolegs at roadrunner.com twolegs at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 28 22:22:06 CDT 2010

Scott "Postholer" wrote:
<...and I'll rant some more. The Kick-off folks are selective about who sells
<warez and I'll bet it's a tight circle. My *fellow* low-life carpet baggers
<target their customers when they are at their most enthusiastic. Really,
<what better moment to get your product under a hikers nose than on the
<*first day* of a 2,650 mile hike. Serendipitous? Of course not, strategic
<product placement. But of course, such a concept has never been uttered by
<those that ply their warez at the KO.

Okay Scott!

Whew, at first I thought I was merely getting into a peeing match with a skunk, but actually this is turning into a valuable ... teachable moment!  You, dear fellow, are about to learn something!  I have been to five of the last seven Kickoffs, and that is five more than you ever have.  So I actually know something, unlike ... ahem ... you.

It is an extremely rare hiker who shows up at the trailhead, let along the Kickoff, on the FIRST day of a 2,650 mile hike with no equipment.  Maybe it's happened but ... if it did, then thank heaven the KO vendors are there, right?  Not all hikers arrive on their *first day*, either ... many have started early and gotten rides back to the KO after being on the trail for one or more weeks.  So none of them have "warez" (try spellchecker, honey) gotten under their noses on their *first* day.  However ... any thruhiker who has already purchased gear from one of those extraordinary vendors who is having any difficulty with it can get it fixed, exchanged, or whatever it takes to set it right.  This is a great service to thruhikers. Yes indeed, I imagine the KO folks are selective about their vendors.  There aren't very many there and the ones that are are very special people (the KO isn't a #$&^@* swap meet for heavens sake, it's an educational program and the vendors, while important, are just a small part of what goes on).

You might be surprised to know that thruhikers are outnumbered at the KO by organizers, volunteers, vendors, Forest Service and National Park folks, PCTA folks, section hikers, past year hikers, future year hikers, family, friends and assorted well-wishers ... all focused on helping the current thruhikers get off to a good start.  The vendors actually spend a great deal of their energy getting their "warez" under the noses of next year's hikers and any year's section hikers who are not on the first day of their hike ... and it is a genuine service to all of these people to actually see the specialized lightweight equipment made by the good folks at Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, ULA, Henry Shires and others ... learning about it, trying it on, comparing, etc., and also meeting hikers there who are using, or have in the past used, various of these shelters and backpacks, etc.  Hikers get lots of information, advice, and face time with the designers, whether they buy or not.  It's a genuinely valuable learning experience that works both ways.  The vendors get good feedback from their products' users that helps them refine their designs.

I am a section hiker ... over the past seven years I've completed 1300 miles. It's been extremely helpful to be able to see the equipment that I've been reading about online, to help me choose what will work for me.  I've used a Shires TarpTent (when hiking with my husband), and also a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter for solo backpacking, and it's so much better to see it and touch it and try it and talk with the makers, than to just blindly pluck it off the internet.  I'm proud to have supported these guys by making my purchases, because they have totally supported me with excellent products and service.  I am just in awe of them and their accomplishments.

I have to admit it majorly gripes me to hear you sneer at these guys the way you do in your cheesy "Thru-Wallet" story.  You contribute what you do, and they contribute what they do.  Why do you have to make such a nasty stink?  ARE YOU JEALOUS OF THE ATTENTION THEY GET????   You too provide valuable services to hikers ... no one disputes that ... but then you tarnish everything you do with this danged attitude of yours, especially about something you know nothing about.  What in the world would really make you happy?  For all the trail angels, water cachers, equipment makers, guidebook writers, KO organizers, and various assorted hikers' wellwishers, to just vaporize so only YOU are left to be the Grand Pooh Bah of the PCT?  Get ... a ... danged ... life ... willya?

Happy Trails,

Two Legs