[pct-l] Bee stings

Michael Peterson wordgrouper at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:23:19 CDT 2010

>From a former beekeeper--most people are allergic to bees in the sense that
yes, the stings hurts, and oh, look, the site is all red and I'm swelling!
More serious--if you've never been stung before you have no way of knowing
if you're susceptible to anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, which is very
serious and can kill (It seems you either are, or aren't). While working
bees one afternoon I discovered my son was--within a few minutes of the
sting he was covered with 'hives' (I do not mean swarms of bees) and went
blind (temporarily) before the medics arrived. If you don't know--try to get
stung at least twice (near an emergency room or an epi-pin), a few days
apart (once will not tell you if you are) before you head into the mountains
(I will make a guess that over 6 or 7 thousand feet you don't need to
worry). This was my son's second sting. Bees are gentle, beautiful and
wonderful creatures. While foraging, the little ladies have no interest in
you. You may even be able to hold one. They are more protective around the
hive. You can and should outrun them. You'll find they lose interest after
1-2 hundred yards. Run like a bat out of hell. In a sick sort of way a
beekeeper comes to like a good sting from time to time. I've been stung as
many as 150 times in a few minutes. Bring it on! I don't believe there is
anywhere along the PCT you need to be concerned about the much hyped
Africanized bee.

Depth Happens

--

"A little learning is a dang'rous thing;
   Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: