[pct-l] V5F KSO Pros/Cons

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 10:00:41 CDT 2010

I have the regular KSOs, which have a thinner sole and no lugs. Since there
are no lugs, I find the traction isn't as good as my trail runners, but good
enough. I find that the sole is thick enough the protect against rock
bruising(rocks to the arch are uncomfortable to me, but not painful as they
would be if I was barefoot). But I am careful to avoid this when I'm hiking
or running in them.
I tried crossing a stream with them and the inside stayed soggy for longer
than I hoped, but it doesn't hold as much water as regular shoe would. It
would dry pretty fast if you took them off your feet. I also wouldn't wear
them as camp shoes, because of the moisture issues and I like my feet to air
out at the end of the day.

Otherwise, I have found the the same pros/cons with the KSO, and I think
that is a pretty good summary.

"I got the V5F KSO Treks back at Christmas but so far I have only done day
hikes in them. The Trek models have the Kangaroo uppers, a 4mm midsole plate
(stone bruise protection) and a lightly lugged sole.

I have done numerous 12 mile packless hikes on my local training trail and a
couple of 20 miles day hikes with a 15lb pack. There is a period of time
required to strengthen the muscles in your feet that don't get used in
shoes. I wear light toe socks in mine while hiking.

These are my observations so far:

Pros
- More comfortable than you can imagine for footwear
- Really light on the feet, I think they only weight 11oz or something
- Great traction, much better than trail shoes despite the lack of deep
tread
- Seemingly blister free
- Full freedom for your feet, lots of room to expand out if they swell
- So comfy they would also be a camp sandal

Cons
- Got to be careful where you walk, a sharp stone to the arch is painful
- I am not fond of the leather uppers, my belief is they would be hot in the
desert
- The leather would also suck in the rain, stream crossing, etc...
- I have a hard time imagining using them in snow
- Don't have the data yet but I am cautious about how many miles you can get
out of them

BigToe"

--
www.hikefor.com/haiti-2010-Dan