[pct-l] Vibram 5 fingers, foot injuries, and muscle atrophy

Hm.HF hoodooey at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 09:54:27 CDT 2010

A tip from FoxTrot, who hiked last year (as did we). The sandal of choice is Teva Terra Fi 2 (now available in a '3' edition). Having had shoe trouble early on, I converted to these and wore them comfortably for over 1000 miles.

Barefoot idealism (guilty here) on application leads to an identity crisis: Am I sufficiently masochistic to continue this insanity? Most are not, so on-trail barefootedness is self-limiting.

Top 10 Reasons Not to Hike Barefooted

10. Pointy rocks you can't see, only feel after they've become one with your foot
9. That smell of burning flesh in the desert
8. Round rocks you can see, but don't until after the !crack! sound
7. Dehydration (blood loss)
6. Sharp living things like thorns, cactus needles and snake fangs
5. Limited snow traction, even with long toenails
4. Million bumps on top of feet (mosquitoes)
3. So many views missed with too much focus on trailbed
2. Phantom pains (after amputation due to frostbite)
1. Annoying questions from everyone you meet about why, why, WHY?

Bill