[pct-l] Sierra Snow Report....good news & bad news

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Mar 21 04:01:02 CDT 2010

Hi gang,
Trouble is back in town....for a limited time only.
Just got back from another extended ski trip at Mammoth, in the Sierra.
That makes 5 solid weeks of skiing, so far,  this year....4 in the
Sierra and 1 in the Rockies.
SNOW....as far as the eyes can see in the Sierra....LOTS of it.
Of course, that is  "Good News"  for ski bums like me, but  "Bad News"
for  ''Hiker Trash"  like you.
I have been bumming around the Sierra now for around 40 years and don't
really remember seeing more snow than this year.
Of course, at 69, my memory is not what it used to be.
Lets see now,.....what was I talking about?......Ooohhh....the snow.

Say Switchback, this  "Alzheimer's"  is brutal when it strikes.
Sometimes it's so bad, I find myself wondering.....am I on the JMT or
the PCT?.....or am I on the CDT?
Let's see now.....am I supposed to be going North or South?
Am I lost?.....NEVER.....I'm NEVER lost......not JMT Reinhold.
I  KNOW  WHERE  I  AM.........I am somewhere on the North American
Continent.
I just don't know exactly where.....BUT  I  AM  NEVER  LOST.....not JMT
Reinhold.

But serious guys....kidding aside....this is an above average snow fall
year for the Sierra at Mammoth.
The snow fall at Mammoth over the last 20 years has averaged 342" a season.
Mammoth has already accumulated 434" year to date and based on the 20
year average it should get another 60" during the remainder of March ,
April and May.
That will give Mammoth approximately 500" this season.....way above average>
So do like "Ground Pounder" says....."BE  PREPARED"......and listen to
"Ned".

JMT Reinhold
Your snow loving, ski bumming trail companion