[pct-l] Frogg-Toggs + pack cover vs poncho

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 11:46:10 CDT 2010

We've been using Packas for a couple of years now. I also used it during
several training hikes in heavy rain. They work fine, but there are some
problems.

What do you do when you want to take your pack off, and it is raining hard
with no shelter?

With the Packa you have one garment, and with the pack off, either you or
the pack will be protected, but not both. After that training hike
experience, I started carrying a light weight rain parka in an outer pocket.
That works, but now I have lost the weight advantage gained by combining my
parka and pack cover. I think the ideal solution is a good pack cover and a
separate parka. However, my limited pack cover experience is that the pack
always gets wet at the bottom.

--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html