[pct-l] Air mattresses

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Mon Mar 22 21:57:46 CDT 2010

Hello:

I, too, used a Big Agnes air core mattress last year hiking 550 miles of the PCT--including section A and B from the Mexican border. It lasted up until the last 16 miles of Section O--I don't know what happened--I tried to repair it by submersing it into a stream to find the leak, etc. I couldn't find the leak. My hike was over for the season--I just sent it back to Big Agnes and they sent me a new one free.

 I have that pad now and will use it for this year's 1000 mile hike. I really like the padding--almost like a real bed.

I don't know why the pad failed (albeit only 16 miles from the finish of my hikes). I did use it in the Big Agnes chair, not just as a sleeping pad, but never outside of my tent.

--Fireweed