[pct-l] Plantar fasciitis

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 14:30:54 CDT 2010

At least ten years ago, I had my first episode of plantar fasciitis. I had to do the "foot in a pail of icy water" routine several times a day (not fun), but the initial pain subsided and has been more or less under control ever since then. Usually I can get away with going barefoot around the house (though not recommended), but when I start feeling it again I go back to wearing shoes with more support.
I wear custom made orthotics. My chiropractor says the best exercise to do is a stretch where you pull your toes toward your shin and hold--do this first thing in the morning. Another easy one (perfect when you don't even want to get up and exercise) is to roll your instep back and forth on a (pint-size?) plastic water bottle than you've filled and stuck in the freezer.

It is amazing to me that I can literally walk on a paved trail and my foot hurts, I step off onto unpaved ground and my foot stops hurting. Paved surfaces are far more damaging to your feet than unpaved. I've rarely had a problem with plantar fasciitis while on the trail, but sometimes I've had a problem on the walks into trail towns.
Good luck,Susan AlcornShepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/x-11423-Bay-Area-Hiking-Examiner
Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers.