[pct-l] Hiking Kilts

james8313 @dslextreme.com james8313 at dslextreme.com
Fri Mar 19 22:03:00 CDT 2010

I agree that the Elkommando looks heavy and the bottom  does not flair
enough.

I forgot to mention that the one I made from the simplicity pattern with
pleats was in a cotton or
cotton blend and weighs 6 oz.. Ok for a few days but Nylon would be better
for the long haul.
If I can find the correct material  I should be able to cut off a oz or 2 by
also making less pleats.

I did know about the Utilikilt as also mentioned and the running Kilk is
realy a Skirt (manskirt) as
it is basicly a tube.. and it is a little short for Hiking if you go
commando..I define a Kilt as a rectangle
 of fabric that overlaps in the front -- with or without pleats..  the ones
I have made do not have pockets
but did not find it a problem for the distances that I hiked.  Pockets in
shirt and on the pack belt to hold maps etc..

Yosemite James