[pct-l] Southern CA Section E safety

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Mar 19 17:49:48 CDT 2010

Hi Sarah,
It seemed to me that the guidebook author tended toward the dramatic
(if you can't tell already by the flowery prose). He also called the
San Felipe Hills dangerous. All he means is that there is not enough
water and it's really hot when thru-hikers normally go through (end
of May to sometime in June.) First rule of PCT hiking is to not let
the hype scare you.

There's a possibility that there could be a very long distance
without water, from Hikertown all the way to the Tiger shower if the
faucet at the Cottonwood bridge is turned off and Tylerhorse canyon
is dry.

For you, the faucet at Cottonwood bridge might be turned off. The
nice man at Hikertown will know. He might even be willing to drive
out some water for you.

For you it's very unlikely Tylerhorse canyon will be dry. We've had
an excellent rain year. The last two years we had less rain and there
was water both times I went through in early June.

There are feral dogs along the desert floor. Carry some rocks when
you see them. There may be some weirdos peering out of the curtains
as you pass by the scary-looking houses on the desert floor. Just
keep moving. There may be ATV and motorcyclers as you rise into the
Tehachapis. They will annoy you but probably not cause any problems,
although their tracks can make following the trail confusing. Stay
alert and look for the PCT emblem any time you have to make a
decision at a fork. If you haven't seen the emblem in about 500
yards, you probably went the wrong way.

The first time through Section E I thought it was awful The second
time I really enjoyed it. You'll probably see wildflowers all
throughout the entire Section E.

Keep notes when you hike this section and send a report of water
conditions to asabat at 4jeffrey.net when you get home. Oh and one more
thing: DO NOT take the detour they suggest across the Antelope Valley
floor. Stick to the official PCT. The detour no longer exists.

Diane

On Mar 19, 2010, at 1:25 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hi, I'm a section hiker, thinking of doing?Section?E:Agua Dulce to
> Highway 58 next month. The?Wilderness?Press guide calls it a "hot,
> waterless, dangerous" section, but they never say what the dangers
> are. Off-road enthusiasts? ?Weirdos?from the desert? I'm female and
> going solo. ?Thanks!
> Sarah

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight