[pct-l] Pack weight

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Mar 19 08:29:02 CDT 2010

13 pounds isn't that much. Really.

You say you have extra weight in clothing. Do you have extra
clothing? Extra socks are good, extra anything else is too much.
Everything you carry should be one layer in a complete outfit. If you
can't wear all your clothes at once, you have too many. That's my
opinion.

In my opinion a Leatherman isn't necessary. What are you going to
vice-grip, screw, punch, and use pliers on out there on a regular basis?

I noticed after a while that I could save a whole lot more weight by
carrying less food and resupplying more often. Then I had room for
luxuries like books and was unconcerned when I had to carry a 2lb
tent for a while.

Diane

On Mar 18, 2010, at 9:21 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>>
> Ya well it seams that a lot of my weight is coming from the clothing.
> I do have a 850 fill down bag, Western Mountaineering ultralite. My
> sleeping, cooking and shelter are crazy light but I can't seem to
> shake it down even lower. I just feel like 13lbs is still too heavy.
> Like I should be at 11lbs.
>>

> Warning: this will be a highly biased opinion that you should
> probably just
> ignore.
>
> IMHO, I think 12-13 lbs is about the minimum weight you can have
> while still
> carrying all the categories of stuff that you really ought to have
> in order
> to be prepared for every condition you might reasonably expect to
> run into.
> In order to get lower than about 13 lbs, you probably need to start
> eliminating entire categories of gear (which I don't recommend doing).

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes