[pct-l] Lightweight axes

Julian Plamann julian at amity.be
Fri Mar 19 02:14:25 CDT 2010

Just wanted to add a quick alternate opinion on the issue. Granted, 2009 was
only an average snow year, but I can't recall feeling the need for an ice
axe at all on the PCT. Trekking poles provide so much more stability and a
better center of gravity than an ice axe on the type of snow that is out
there in June. The slope angles are mostly relatively low, snow is soft and
there is no need for any icy, piolet traction climbing. I would have felt
less safe with an axe in hand and my poles stowed. The Black Diamond Whippet
is the best of both worlds and definitely the safest method, but if I had to
choose between poles and a traditional ice axe, I'd pick poles.