[pct-l] Headphones,Ipod,Music Nation

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 08:58:04 CDT 2010

Dave, I originally felt the same way. I in fact went 1000 miles (S. Lake Tahoe) before I picked up my super cheap little FM radio and earbuds.
I am all about embracing the wilderness and being engaged but there were times when frankly the long hours of hiking became monotonous. Infamous section like California's O were certainly examples of places where I used my radio. I also enjoyed the motivational boost of classical music upon reaching the end of a long climb at times though FM signals could be pretty spotty. On occasion it was also nice to listen to BBC radio with it's news and informational programming.
In practice I probably only used my radion less than 1% of the time due to lack of clear signal,desire to be unconnected, and battery life.
I totally get your sentiment though and I actual did at times feel like I was "cheating" the experience by listening to the radio..
Then again when a really great song came on and was in synch with my pace and the inspiring terrain I felt like I was even more in tune.. I had some really potent experiences with music on the trail.
One more kinda strange thing happened. Now when I hear a song I am sometimes brought right back to the places on the trail where I heard that song before.
Anyhow, you are right that it is a totally personal choice and at least by using earbuds nobody is being imposed upon.
Anyways that is just my 2 cents for what it's worth... HaHa I guess.. 2 cents!
Cheers-Iceaxe

Sent on the Go from a Peek Email Device.
HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research