[pct-l] Can't Sleep

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 16 19:56:04 CDT 2010

You have already gotten some good advice about general anxiety when starting out on a hike.  Another factor might be altitude.  If you drive up from 1,500 feet to 10,000 feet,  hike in and try to sleep the difference in oxygen could be causing you to experience sleep apnea for a day or two.  If that is the case try sleeping lower  and working up to the higher altitude.

I often find that I am not only excited to be out in the woods again but all of my hiking has put a lot of adrenalin into my system and this makes it difficult to get to sleep.  Perhaps some meditation in the evening would help or some "Sleepy Time Tea".  Some folks use Benadryl or another mild sleep agent.

Lastly.  Your sleeping bag is not your bed and your sleeping pad is not the mattress that you are used to at home and nether is your pillow.  Sleeping is a habit that we have fallen into.  Do you sleep on your side or stomach at home but try to sleep on your back on the trail?  Try sleeping on your pad, in your bag and using whatever you will use on the trail for a pillow for a week before you leave home.  This way your body (and mind) can start to get used to the change before you hit the trail and your adjustment period my be shortened.  You are going to need your rest once you start hiking those long days.

Shepherd.