[pct-l] Resupply Food Spoiling

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 16 13:35:50 CDT 2010

Good morning,

When I think about long storage times for foods – particularly nuts – I’m
reminded of “Flying Brian” Robinson’s 2001 attempt to hike a single-season
Triple-Crown.  Impressed with that considerable ambition I followed his
progress via his journals.  About half way through the adventure he made
this entry:

June 5  9:30 PM.  Desolation Wilderness, CA.

“I'm back on the trail again and feeling much better so far.  When I ate
some of the trail mix left over from the last section, it tasted bad.  The
peanuts, I think, have a problem.  It would sure explain my problems if I've
been "poisoning" myself with some food.  It's also true that the times I've
really felt like I couldn't eat another bite were just after eating the
trail mix.  Snickers Bars and other stuff always went down more easily.  I'm
going to try to avoid the trail mix for a while, and if I run out of other
food, try the new bag first.”

Subsequently Brian finished the 7,371 mile, 300-day trip on 27 October,
2001.

 Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye