[pct-l] Use of GPS

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Mon Mar 15 16:56:57 CDT 2010

I use the GPS to figure out exactly where I am when I am on a long monotonous stretch with dozens of uphill switchbacks and wonder how long until it's over. I also used it to gauge exact mileage to the next water and plan accordingly.

Once, I overshot a feeder trail that led to an off PCT trail lake I wanted to camp at.The trail was in constant tree cover without a view to landmarks for miles.  When I figured out I must have gone too far, according to my hiking speed and watch, I whipped out the GPS and found out where I was exactly, backtracked and found the trail. The sign was broken and laying in the brush away from my field of view.

I have also found it helpful to gauge trail speed--psychologically it helped me get to Barrel Springs through a nasty hot afternoon--when I gauged my exact speed I could be assured of getting to the destination within a reasonable period of time. Of course, you know your speed from looking at your watch, using trail guides, etc. but I wanted something more exact at that broiling, hot seemingly never ending part of the hike.

--Fireweed