[pct-l] Using a GPS

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 16:36:35 CDT 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Jim Keener ( J J ) <pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com>
>
> Because I'm a geek.

Of all the reasons given so far, I think this one is the most truly accurate. :D

Being serious, I guess having done a lot of  outdoor activities (winter included) 'old school' w/o a GPS,
can't really appreciate it on a gut level why it would be *needed*.

Even going SoBo on the PCT it may NICE to have, but when people say you NEED it..well,
my Spidy sense tingles. :)

So, it seems more in the category of what I call a "Nicety"..something that makes life a little (or a lot) smoother
for many people but don't need it. I don't need my cell phone here off-trail, but my life runs smoother
without a land line. Or how I don't *need* my laptop and WiFi access, but my life runs smoother with it.
A "nicety". Same thing I guess!

In the end, I think maybe because were are online and chatting, more of the people are
going to fall into Jim's honest, short, but ultimately accurate, answer. :)

The true
harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust
caught, a
portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com