[pct-l] Using a GPS

rcluster at comcast.net rcluster at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 14:01:12 CDT 2010

Hi Granite,

We used Halfmile's GPS data last year and it was always perfect. Was really nice when you were on snow and hadn't seen the ground in several hours.

Some (most?) GPS units have a limit on the number of waypoints they can hold at any one time. Plus, as far as I could tell, there isn't a way to store waypoint files on the memory card and swap them in the field. It appears you need a computer to do that. It didn't appear to me that the waypoint data could even be saved on the memory card, so swapping cards part way through the hike wasn't going to work either. This could be different between GPS models though. Test it and see.

To get around the "max number of waypoints" limit on my Garmin 60CSx, I converted Halfmiles waypoints to POI's (Points of Interest) using one of the Garmin utility programs, and then uploaded the entire set with no problem. Using Garmin Topo, I was able to get maps of the entire trail, plus about 20-30 miles on both sides, into the unit (stored on the memory card I believe).

Garmin does have some programs available for the Mac I think. Check out their website for the specific model you have, might be some help there. I have both Mac and Windows so I just used their supplied programs on the Windows box.

Best of luck on your hike! Wish we were going again this year.....

Snowplow