[pct-l] Tetraglycine Hydroperiodine

Jim Bravo jimbravo at wildblue.net
Sun Mar 14 20:23:54 CDT 2010

Shepherd:

Someone with more knowledge on the subject is likely to contribute to
this thread, but until then...

The Potable Aqua appears to cost about the same as the Katadyn Micropur
tablets (chlorine dioxide, same stuff as Aqua Mira drops). If I were to
use tablets, I would definitely choose the chlorine dioxide - it doesn't
have the same questions surrounding it that long-term iodine usage does
(ie, thyroid function). This issue has been bandied about, and a lot of
experts think that long-term exposure to iodine is not good for you.

I'm using the Aqua Mira (liquid) because it's light, inexpensive (120
liters for about 11 dollars), effective against the main antagonists,
and appears to have passed the test of safety over an extended period of
time. And you don't have to have a chemistry degree to use it. The
chlorine-dioxide tablets use the same active ingredient. I think it was
JJ Keener that found a deal on the tablets somewhere about a month or
two ago...But, as always, DYOD (drink your own drink).

Jim
Stray Wolf
Director
PCT Over-Analysis Center
Somerset, CA

The local equipment store near me, an Adventure 16, carries something
called Tetraglycine Hydroperiodine for water treatment under the brand
name Portable Aqua. It is 16.7% with 83% being listed as "other
ingredients". I have used it on several backpacking trips without ill
effect. I like it becouse it is a single tablit, no mixing, and the
water is ready in 1/2 hour.

What I don't know is how this differes from 100% iodine, or even if I
would want to use 100% iodine. I don't know how effective this is
agenist verises or other little nasties.

My plan is to use this as a back-up to my Steri-Pen, while hiking in the
Sierra's, where I am fairly confident about the water anyway. But as I
find myself using this combination more and more and sometimes leaving
the Steri-pen at home, I am wondering if my confidence in the
Tetraglycine Hydroperiodine is well placed or if I am falling victum to
the "Ignorence is bliss" effect.