[pct-l] Unfit to be a Father?

DA dabruce at tmo.blackberry.net
Wed Mar 10 21:35:46 CST 2010

Well gang, third season lister, I hike the sierra portion of the PCT only.  The PCT office will confirm 2 permits, and I have yet to send in this years app.  So I best be good!

It's a trail people!  Hope the child learns to walk, and swim through, and glissade, and LNT...etc, etc, etc.
Its a National Scenic Trail. So I'll tell you a story.  It may well be allegorical to many of your needs.

By the way!  Before 2008 I had never hiked.  I had camped, canoed, as a child,  never back packed.  In 2008 with 6 miles of "terrain" hiking under my belt I left. I-80 south to Tehachapi.  Last year I yoyo'd it ++.
This year I will donate and seek a yoyo permit that I will add  with signed ranger addendum for off trail, cross country exploration.

So here's the story!  I am in Tuolumne Meadows last year, early, snow play, early.  Going to do shake out hike of the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, then start my permit PCT hike.  I'm in the backpacker camp, it's closed, but I sought permission.  Some real early PCT "thrus" came through.  Saw my tent, a fire in the ring, my wine and cheese, and they stayed, camped and chatted.  We had a blast!  All three had never done it, at once. One had done all of it, but in "sections"

We chatted about resupply, speed, fords, etc. etc.  They told me great stories of a very hot desert hike then surprise storms early in the sierra's.  Later in the summer I would hear stories from the seki rangers about "thru's" needing to be pulled out.  Later that night one of the hikers came to me and said "hey could you look at something for me.". He showed me a black toe.  He had no idea.  Next day the rangers and I arranged transport to the valley med center.  Nice guy said it was so hot in the dessert that they entered the sierras without "weight."

I carry 48 to 52 pounds and I hop around the sierras.  On July, 3Oth of last year I slept on Whitney and it hailed. For three hours.

The PCT is an experience!  I wish everyone well!  I'll be looking for the "baby couple" this year. As well as meeting rangers, carrying a bear can, ice axe, helmet, and yaktrax just like every year.  And I spend 100 days there.

God Bless
Unauthorized use of this email is prohibited, any unauthorized use will be forwarded to the appropriate authorities.